Tuesday 8 December 2009

Halal Bite, Mile End Road


I found myself in a rush earlier and I needed to get the tube at Stepney Green so I was in a bit of a Chicken no mans land. Mile End Road/into Whitechapel Road is a very difficult place for chicken, purely because of the abundance of choice. It is one of the most over subscribed chicken hotspots in London, and unfortunately it is quantity over quality. I cannot begin to understand how this amount of chicken shops in about a mile of straight road is economically viable: somehow the majority of these shops manage to stay afloat and it is possible to find at least one customer in each during opening hours. After visiting a TGI Fridays-style restaurant under the Mile End bridge called Rock It and enjoying great Mexican/American food for £5, it shocked me to find that, in contrast to the aforementioned chicken shops, it suffers from minimal custom. I am at a loss to explain this. Especially whilst Halal Bite exists.

Halal Bite offers average priced meals. I ordered 1 piece, chips and a drink for £1.95. The first hindrance was that the salt had expired. After getting some new salt sachets, aesthetically the box was reasonable. The chips were average, and the piece looked larger than usual from one-piece meals. However, once I got to the chicken, I found it to be a ribcage with little meat. The meat that I managed to get off the bone frequently had bones and there was a lot of fat. The batter was ok, but without meat this seemed pointless. The only positive was the chips and that Fanta was available as a beverage as opposed to the various dubious brands usually on offer.

Rating (/10):

Aesthetics: 7
Chips: 7
Size: 6

Fat: 4
Amount/Quality of meat: 3
Stomach Damage post-meal: 7

Map

No comments:

Post a Comment